1 May 2015

Review: Serving up a Sweetheart by Cheryl Wyatt

Not Me



When wedding caterer Meadow Larson’s kitchen roof collapses, her high school nemesis comes to the rescue, offering his barn as a temporary kitchen. While Colin McGrath never led the bullies in the popular crowd who made her high school years a misery, he never called them on their behaviour either. Now he says he’s changed. Can she believe him?

Yes, I can see that a person can change after high school. I can see that they might regret some of their teenage decisions and behaviour (who doesn’t?). But I never got an impression of how Colin had changed, which meant I didn’t get that he had changed. I only saw the almost-perfect Christian contractor he now is.

I also didn’t really get Meadow. If she hated high school and everyone in town bullied her, why did she stay? Here’s the other thing I didn’t get. She appears to be operating a commercial catering business out of her house, and when her kitchen is destroyed, she uses the home kitchen of her building contractor. Really? A bachelor who lives in a barn has a kitchen good enough to use for commercial catering? And it doesn’t have to be certified as meeting local hygiene standards?

Okay, these might be minor issues, and it seems most people are loving Serving Up a Sweetheart. But it didn’t work for me. The writing was good, and I thought the Christian aspects were excellent. But the characters were too good to be true, and I thought the plot was too complex to adequately cover in such a short word count. Overall, average.

Thanks to Zondervan and NetGalley for providing a free ebook for review. You can find out more about Cheryl Wyatt at her website.

No comments:

Post a Comment